Teacher Friend Groups: The Breakdown

Anna Hennessey, Writer

Have you ever seen a typical high school movie with obvious cliques and stereotypes?  Such as any of the classic John Hughes movies like the Breakfast Club or Sixteen candles or more recent Netflix films like To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. When all of these films focus on the stereotypical groups of the geeks, the cool kids, the band kids, and the goth group, one group is always underrepresented. That group is the teachers.

The general groups of teachers usually go as followed: the teachers who teach the same subject, the teachers who have been here the longest, the younger teachers who all gravitate towards each other, and the new teachers. The first one is obvious, the teachers who teach the same subject, they have similar offices, similar expertise, and have to spend time together because of department meetings. The teachers who have been here the longest are prone to be together because they’ve known each other for the most time. For example, a senior would be closer friends to another senior they have known since fifth grade than a new freshman.  Like the last group, age plays a factor in who your friends with. The younger teachers grew up the same time period, had phones in high school, and think they are the cool teachers. It’s more comfortable to be friends with someone within two to five years of age than to be friends with someone who for some teachers was your history teacher five years ago. The last group is also obvious. Most new teachers talk to other new teachers to help each other figure the crazy ways of Newton Country Day. These teachers usually create such a strong bond they slowly turn into the teachers who have been here the longest and the circle continues. Of course, these are not all the groups just the main one’s students have identified. Some honorable mentions include; dynamic duos who are basically only close with each other and the team of teachers who all work with the same grade.