Meet the School Presidents!

Angelique Privitera Kennelly, Staff Writer

A few weeks ago I interviewed our student body presidents, Abby Coburn, and Sophia Gaines. 

Abby first came to NCDS in 7th grade. She is involved in Field Hockey, Basketball, Softball, Crew, Service Committee, Campus Ministry, and Student Government. This year, she is very excited to manage Varsity Basketball for the first time. Abby’s favorite school lunch is grilled cheese, and she enjoys watching sports (especially the Patriots) and styling other people’s clothes. Not only does Abby like to style other people, but she also has a great fashion sense herself. She shops at places such as Princess Polly, Aritizia, Dick Sporting Goods, J.Crew, TJ Maxx, and Marshalls. Some of Abby’s favorite TV shows and movies include The Crown, Parks and Recreation, Friday Night Nights, Friends From College, Last Chance, The Devil Wears Prada, Mamma Mia!, and Superbad. A social awareness that Abby is passionate about is children’s education because “we take it for granted in the US.”  Abby’s dream is to visit the Azores Islands in Portugal as well as Tahiti. 

I had the opportunity to meet Sophia at an NCDS basketball clinic over the summer. Sophia came to NCDS in 9th grade, and she has since become involved in Varsity Soccer, Basketball, Varsity Softball, Committee of Games, Film, and Student Government. Sophia’s favorite TV shows and movies are Grown-ish, Pretty Little Liars, Law and Order SVU, Pitch Perfect, Suits, Trolls, Sing, All American, Bad Boys, Fast & Furious Series, Baywatch, and the Undersigned. Sophia also likes to watch kids’ cartoons including Miraculous Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir. Sophia would love to travel to Bora Bora because “it looks tropical and fun” and she would also like to go to Greece someday. She also enjoys gardening and making meals with the food she grows. Her passion has inspired her to work with a youth gardening program that caters to using healthy food. She thinks that healthy food options should cost less because it’s something we should all have access to. 

Lastly, we started talking about why Abby and Sophia wanted to become student body presidents and what they want to accomplish. Abby said,  “I wanted to become a student body president because I wanted to have a positive impact on the school. Being student body president is something that I’ve always thought about doing.” Sophia said, “I like making other people happy, and being student body president I get to be a voice of the students and organize activities that will make their high school experience more enjoyable.”  At the conclusion of our interview, they both said they want student government to be more involved in planning as many activities as possible.