Is our school day too long?: A Deeper Dive into Assemblies

Emma Doyle

There is one specific question that has been spread amongst the NCDS hallways–why is our school day so long? This article will dive deep into this question and explain how long our school day really is and how it affects us. I sent a survey to the ninth grade to learn about their opinions on our school week. When asked what time they arrived at school, the majority of people said 7:30. That is where it all began…

I took the time to add up the amount of days that we have throughout the school year. We have a grand total of 160 schools days–the average for a private school. But, our school ends at 3:30 three times a week. We have 94 days where we are released at 3:30 and 66 days where we are released at 2:30. During 3:30 days, we attend school for eight hours and during 2:30 days, we attend school for seven hours. After calculating the total number of hours, I found out that we go to school for 1,214 hours each school year. Now the crazy thing about this is that Massachusetts law states that schools only need to be in session for 990 hours each year. That means that we go to school for an extra 224 hours than most other schools that end everyday at 2:30. I apologize for the complicated math that I just presented to you. Trust me, it was equally as painful for me as it was for you. But, think BIGGER. For instance, I started NCDS in the seventh grade so by the time I graduate, I will have gone to school for 1,344 EXTRA hours. Now, if you recall, we go to school for 1,214 hours each year. That means that those who started NCDS in seventh grade will have done over AN EXTRA YEAR OF SCHOOL by the time they graduate. Wow! 

Now, that is not to say that I don’t appreciate my education. I know that I am very fortunate and lucky to be able to attend such an amazing school. I wouldn’t change it for the world. The only thing I would change is the amount of assemblies. 75% of the ninth grade says that some assemblies are important but not all are. The remaining 25% said that all assemblies are unnecessary. 0% ninth graders responded that all assemblies are important. When we are released at 3:30, it is because we have an extra assembly that day. If we were to only have one assembly each day, so much would change. With the amount of homework given in the upper school and the time people arrive home after sports or the musical, most students believe that they don’t have time to spend with their family or friends. If the school eliminated the second assembly, I am sure that most, if not all, students would be much happier. 

 

SOURCES: https://education.seattlepi.com/disadvantages-longer-school-days-1489.html

      http://www.ecs.org/clearinghouse/95/05/9505.pdf