• September 29NEWSPAPER 2017-2018

NCDS Opinions on Valentine’s Day

Fiona Henderson

Throughout January and the beginning of February, stores are filled with chocolates, flowers, valentines, and overwhelming amounts of pink and red. Every commercial seems to be valentine-themed, all movies on TV are about love, and everyone seems to be making plans for the 14th.

Is Valentine’s Day really worth all of this hype? 77% of NCDS high school students who recently took a survey on this topic think so. These students’ reasons for thinking so include:

“I love love.”

“It’s fun.”

“It’s cute. I like chocolate.”

“Love is something that should be celebrated :)”

“It’s always been a tradition in my house and even when I didn’t have a significant other to celebrate Valentine’s Day with, my family always had a big Valentine’s Day dinner because it’s my mom’s favorite holiday and we spend it sharing love to our family.”

“I like Valentine’s Day because it is a nice day to emphasize the love you have for others and the love you receive from others. It’s nice to do with my friends and family but I still wish I had a boyfriend!”

However, 23% of students who took this survey are not fans of Valentine’s Day. Their reasons for not being fans include:

“[Valentine’s Day is] very, very stupid and it makes the single people feel more single and the relationship people look stupid and cheesy.”

“because I DO NOT have a significant other.”

“because Szilvasy said to love your signif[icant] other all the time <3”

“I think that having ONE day out of the whole year dedicated to telling the person/people you love that you love them takes away from showing that love every other day of the year.”

46% of those who answered that they will be celebrating Valentine’s Day will be doing so through “Galentine’s Day” (a girls’ day with friends). 37% said they will celebrate with Netflix and chocolate, and 17% said they will be celebrating with their significant others.

In short, most NCDS students like Valentine’s Day even if they are not in romantic relationships and are happy to celebrate a day dedicated to love.